Herbal Dungeness Crab Cake (with Tomato Chutney and Fennel Watercress Salad)
Dungeness Crab Cake
- 1 lb Dungeness crab meat, squeezed dry
- 2 Tbl. Parsley leaves, rough chopped
- ¼ cup Chives, rough chopped
- ¼ cup Basil, rough chopped
- 1 Tbl. Mayo
- ½ teas Worcestershire
- ½ teas Srisacha
- 1ea Egg yolk
- 1/3 cup Bread Crumb
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 8ea Cloves Garlic
- ½ cup Onion, rough chopped
- 2 Tbl Olive oil
- ½ teas. yellow mustard seed
- ½ teas. Cumin seed
- ½ teas. Fennel seed
- 3 cups diced Tomatoes (canned work well)
- ¾ cup Red wine Vinegar
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 teas. Salt
- Pinch Cayenne
Fennel & Watercress Salad
- One each Fennel bulb
- One Bunch living Watercress
- 1 teas. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbl. EV Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Cook the Crab Cakes. (Ingredients listed on right)
- Gently mix first set of ingredients. Divide mix into four to five crab cakes depending on desire & press hard into a biscuit cutter sized ring mold. This compression is one of the forces holding the crab cakes together.
- Place crab cakes in flour & then turn to coat both sides. Don’t worry about the sides as it is not necessary to bread the sides. Remove the crab cakes from the flour & place on a clean plate. Brush each side of the cake with the egg wash & then move them into the bread crumbs. Crust both sides of crab cake.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat (or use an electric griddle) and brown both sides of crab cake to golden brown.
Make the Tomato Chutney. (Ingredients listed on right)
- In a food processor chop garlic & onion until paste like.
- In a stainless pot (do not use aluminum) heat oil & add mustard seeds. Cook, while stirring, until seed start to pop. Add cumin & fennel seed and toast for one minute.
- Add onion/ garlic mixture and sauté briefly to mix. Add vinegar, sugar, salt, & cayenne.
- Turn down heat to a simmer and cook until thickened.
- Place chutney in ceramic bowl & cool for a few hours.
Make the Fennel & Watercress Salad. (Ingredients listed on right)
- Shave fennel thinly with a knife or Japanese mandolin
- Pick watercress leaves from stems and toss with fennel. Add olive oil and then season with salt & pepper. Finish with lemon juice and toss together.
To assemble the entie dish:
Place salad on plate. Place hot crab cake on top or off to side.
Top with tomato chutney and enjoy….
Drinks: Urbane Perfect Rye Manhattan
2 1/2 ounces rye whiskey
1/8 ounce sweet and dry vermouth (equal parts)
2 dashes of bitters
Ground fennel (two full twists of the wrist
Grind fennel into a chilled martini glass, spread fennel along bottom of glass.
In mixing glass combine ice, whiskey, vermouths and bitters. Stir mixture with a bar spoon to chill, strain and pour into glass. Garnish with a cherry syrup cherry.